Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Art as Novel


               For the past twelve years I have been writing a book.  ART AS A NOVEL is only
a working title. I’ve worked on the manuscript a little here and a little there whenever I had time.  My creative spirit does not stop at the edge of a canvas or when the clay is fired.  Sometimes I think imagination is more a life force than blood.  Thinking about alternative ways to express myself is constant. Text has always intrigued me both as a visual and as the written word.  Artists often include text in their art.  I have.  But, for these past few years I’ve tried stringing words together to create art as author as oppose to painter.  It all comes from the same place; the center of myself.
               I have been hearing about crowd-sourcing projects for the past year.  Programs like
Kickstarter and Indiegogo. You can fund projects you want to complete but do not have
the money but now friends, family and strangers that believe in your campaign can send you
anywhere from $10 to $10,000.00 over a period of 60 days.  Young people are getting films made this way and artists are preparing work for costly exhibitions as well.  A few weeks ago, I read where a writer was self-publishing his book via Kickstarter.  That is when it hit me that
              I might be able to finish my novel.  I chose to open a campaign on Indiegogo.com.
It just launched a few days ago.  I would love your help. 

I have formatted the book to include 350 pages consisting of approximately twenty-seven chapters.  My substantive characters are based on real people in the art world whom I have given a razor-sharp edge.

The main character is an ego-driven red-headed natural beauty named Maggie Gray.  Maggie as a young woman walks through life with loveless-eyes begging the question  ”why not me?”
Though tough and bitter she is also an extremely talented contemporary artist who has suddenly become  “important” in certain circles.  While still flying under the radar in terms of sales to world-class collectors, interest in her work is stirring up the competitive nature of several powerful dealers.
One, to whom she is totally enamored.

Here is an excerpt from the book.  Please hit me back and tell me what you think.


 =============================================================

From the moment I walked into that minimally lit room without shadows
I accepted the myth. The one that says art dealers are contemporary impresarios
blessed with the ability to recognize and defend unpopular art. He summoned me.
I’d known for a long time that if I ever had the chance to meet him I would stand
like a remorseful sinner before God. “Do you believe artists are born OR are they
created?” He spoke in a guttural German accent that caused me to take two
steps back towards the shining glass doors. I pondered the question and for the next two hours on that rainy afternoon in February I listened to his bravado, I basked in his passion and believed
he had the gift of a “good eye.” A good eye, he said, was a very mysterious thing,
no matter how educated you may be….no one can teach it to you. It is your center,
your spirit and like great artists, great dealers are born with this enviable ability
to see and comprehend what the masses cannot. He gripped me with his startling, clear
silver- blue eyes, his glare held me there in that space. “ I have singled YOU out, he said with great force. If you’re willing to do everything I ask I will make you the greatest
artist in all the world! YOU WILL BE MORE IMPORTANT THAN PICASSO!!! "
Then, suddenly, as if someone else in the room told him to lower his voice, he whispered in my ear, “ You will not lead, you will follow.”

Artist Gale Fulton Ross
From her book ART AS A NOVEL
April, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment