Tuesday, October 16, 2012


STAY ON TASK
By
Gale Fulton Ross
October 10, 2013



I spent this past weekend with my brother, Lt. Colonel (Select) Charles Hawkins and his family in Shreveport, Louisiana.   Major Shauntele Guillory-Hawkins, his wife, retired after twenty years in the military.  She is not even 40 yet! Big Sis, was invited to the ceremony and until I experienced her military retirement celebration I’d no idea of the great sacrifice and level of commitment Shaunie and Charles had made on behalf of, not only the country, but for their family of six children as well.

The two older girls in there twenties are off living their lives working and going to school.  Currently in the house is the lovely Miss Chloe, age 12, the adorable Miss Carie, age six, the very mannish clone of his father, Mr. Colin, age five and the cutest teething toddler named Chyler, age nine months.

Mom and Dad manage to maintain their dignity and their sanity by focusing on discipline. Though firm, it is loving and discerning, giving each child their time and space as individuals. The family has traveled extensively having lived in Europe as well as on bases here in America. Shaunie spent time away from the family while doing a tour of duty in Honduras and Charles spent last year in Afghanistan.  Each parent at one time or another had to single-handedly manage the family while working on their military assignments and/ or trying to move the entire family from one base to another.  Church, school, day-care, doctors, dentists, play-dates, after school activities often become the task of one parent to handle; in this case it was mostly Shaunie because Charles has spent lots of time on military assignments away from home.   She truly has my respect!  Each child knows the rules of behavior and is expected to stay on task!

The ceremony at Barksdale AFB is where I really got to know my sister-in-law.  My brother, her husband, officiated and it was tricky for him because it’s rare for a spouse to be in that position.  However, due to lots of circumstances, it fell on him.  He had been given one directive from his wife before leaving the house and that was “stay on task.”

He began by listing the many accomplishments by Major Guillory-Hawkins but said in order not to get into any trouble with his wife he hoped that we would follow along in our programs so that if he missed something one of us could point it out because Shaunie had cornered him in the bathroom as he was getting dressed and asked him what he was going to say; and then asked, “is that how you’re going to say it?!” 
He admitted to being nervous and started talking more as a husband than an officiating officer, that is when one of the high-ranking General’s from the audience spoke up and reminded him to “Stay on Task!”  Needless-to-say during his time officiating we all at one time or another reminded him to be mindful of his wife’s directive.  It was, however, fun for me to watch Shaunie’s face every time he forgot, especially when he got teary over the time he left her pregnant, alone, and moving three children from Germany to Montana while he was on a tour of duty, but being military and all he quickly recovered and so did she.  It is my humble opinion that my brother did a great job of trying hard to “stay on task.”

The video of her childhood, marriage, family and military experiences were remarkable snippets into a life dedicated to education, and ‘giving back’ through teaching, mentoring and nurturing. It was very well-done and a wonderful reflection on how and why she entered the military. Soldiers are very special people!

The most emotional aspect of the celebration was the flag-folding- ceremony where the Flag was handed-off- to two or three other soldiers and then presented to Shaunie who handed it back to another Official.  Music filled the air as we watched “Our Flag” handled with deliberate and strategic moves; saluted; folded and unfolded until it neatly formed a three-sided rectangular representation of the Stars and Stripes.   I definitely wiped away a tear or two as I watched my sister-in-law, my brother, and their kids with eyes glued to the flag and imagined what it must mean to spend twenty years of your life dedicated to protecting “Old Glory!”  I am proud of this family of soldiers both big and small.

My brother Charles is just two months older than my son, Craig.  He, too, is like a son to me and having spent the Summer with Craig and his wife Caryn celebrating the birth of my first grandchild and now to have been invited to spend time in Louisiana experiencing the celebration of Major Shauntelle Guillory-Hawkin military as well as family accomplishments….I can say, I am truly blessed and grateful for all of the gifts the Universe has bestowed upon me.

I am in my studio today writing this blog so that I can proudly document how precious life is and how given all circumstances we must find time to delight in the people we love and whom love us back.  That is not to say we have not had our share of family disputes misunderstandings and hurt feelings.  We have, but in the end we come together because love prevails.   I remember as children when my brother, my sisters and I would argue or fight Mom would not allow us to go to bed angry at one another.  I think, maybe, that is the key to the love, admiration, and respect I feel for each and every one of my siblings and their families as well as for my son and his.  I have become the active matriarch to all of them, nieces and nephews included!   Our mother is well in her eighties and no longer can get around.  She runs our lives now from her kitchen table in Malden, Massachusetts.  So, I do all of her tours of duty…. I guess I’ll just have to “stay on task!”

Gale Fulton Ross



No comments:

Post a Comment