Wednesday, July 4, 2012






Where the story begins...

I am excited about my most recent project;  “Many Voices/One Story”
The four watercolors featured in this post are the first of many images
I did in the search of trying to find one that would work. 
Process is important to me
So in trying to come up with a concept that would represent the nurturing
Spirit of women…I checked out the shape of lots of women’s heads.
Finally, after having drinks with my dear friend Mary I took a good look at her head and did these watercolors; with her permission of course.
 Mary has become my muse for “One Story” which is the title of a
30’ stainless steel sculpture “ I’ve created for the city of Opa-Locka, Florida.
 OPL is just about ten miles outside of North Miami.

The sculpture will serve as a centerpiece for a new park/plaza being developed in a part of OPL. OPL has had many problems in the past, but it is now transitioning back to the charming city that it once was only this time it will be known for its public art as well as its Moroccan architecture.

This will be the largest and most important work I have ever done.  And, it
all began when I attended a dinner party in NYC.  The hostess and I
became friends instantly and she told me about this little town in Florida
called Opa-locka.  She ‘d been doing some urban planning for them and
was a member of the committee that needed to create a charrette for
the town to be used in its public art program design and implementation.
We talked long about the importance of interaction as well as how
Art can create the need for dialogue while enhancing a neighborhood.

Many months later I received an RFP in the mail for a big budget public
Art project in Opa-locka.  I was amazed she remembered me enough to provide the committee with my address.  Once I read the “Call to Artist”
I decided immediately that not only was I going after this project…..
I was going to get it!!!


1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you Gale. you deserve all the good things in life.Shows what hard work and determination brings. Can't wait to see the finished sculpture.
    Lisa B

    ReplyDelete