Saturday, August 4, 2012


I have been very busy waiting on my granddaughter, Caris, to decide to leave
her current warm loving facility to join us in this world called “life on earth.”
She is not scheduled to be born until August 25th and according to the doctor her head is in position whereby she can see the light at the end of the tunnel but Caris has not started her decline, so-to-speak, into parts unknown.  Perhaps she has some inkling of what’s to come and has decided to sit and contemplate the matter for another couple of weeks, as is her right of passage.   If I were Caris, I would.
Everything is ready.  She will be moving into a nursery fit for a princess.  She is already loved tremendously by the entire family.  Her entrance will come with great fan-fare and I cannot imagine what it is I would not personally do for her!  So, while I am sitting and waiting for the little diva to grace us all with her presence, I thought I would share with you where we are on the Public Art Sculpture for Opa-Locka, Florida.

Currently the contract is in the hands of my attorney in NYC.  The agreements by all parties for this kind of project are intricate as well as complex.  Regardless of what people may or may not think about lawyers when you need one they are worth their weight in gold.

 I have had mine for over 35 years!

I truly believe if it were not for him I would currently be owning a time share on some remote island in the West Indies; been accused of assault on a lying cheating art dealer; married to husband number two; and in service for the rest of my life to American Express; and this does not count the number of leases I have had to break or the contracts that would have made me liable for Armageddon.  I appreciate his legal expertise, friendship and good ‘looking out.’
He‘s also brilliant in that he takes payment in ART.  Anyway, until contract is signed,
everything is on hold.  We expect to be moving again sometime in mid-to-late
September.

As you know one monkey can’t stop the show so I am preparing for another
Sculpture project in Detroit.  This one is still in my imagination,
without which nothing happens.  If you think of it everything we are, own, touch and see began in someone’s imagination.   I am out here in Los Angeles just imagining
away!  I want to do two large thirty to forty foot talking heads.  A man and a woman
sharing a conversation, or I want to show a large woman with her head thrown back and
her arms reaching out to the heavens; hands open wide; or I imagine a large black granite
head of woman that along with the other ideas includes an inter-active component allowing each and every viewer the opportunity to participate not only in the creation but in the social consciousness and network that is required to make it public art.


This is called “Socially Relevant Art.”  It is no longer important for the viewer to “just see” something that an artist has created….they must be provoked, challenged, included, informed, and encouraged to discuss the necessary or unnecessary relationship of the art to the viewer as well as his or her surroundings.  Beautiful, Ugly and Edgy aren’t
enough.

Having time to think is quite a novelty for me….waiting for Caris is an interesting dynamic to my overwhelmingly busy life…..I like contemplation; contemplation
and solitude have always been good for my soul.  I have a soul that likes its freedom.
I can daydream and for me imagining is dreaming.   I want Caris to dream big,
perhaps that is just what she is doing….contemplating, imagining, and dreaming up
a wonderful existence here on earth.

Gale
August, 2012
Los Angeles, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment